Welcome to the ultimate vocabulary guide about pets in Spanish! Pets are loyal and affectionate companions that play an essential role in the lives of many people worldwide.
In this article, we’ll provide you with an extensive vocabulary related to pets, ranging from the names of different domesticated animals to terms associated with their care and feeding.
Whether you’re interested in learning Spanish to better communicate with your furry friend or simply wish to enrich your knowledge about the world of pets, this guide is for you!
Common Pet Names in Spanish
Dogs – Perros
Cats – Gatos
|Kitty (colloquial term)
Birds – Aves
Small Mammals – Mamíferos Pequeños
Reptiles and Amphibians – Reptiles y Anfibios
Terms Related to Pet Care
Feeding – Alimentación
|Plato de comida
Health – Salud
Hygiene – Higiene
|Champú / Shampoo
Exercise – Ejercicio
|Parque para perros
|Rueda para hámsters
Verbs Related to Pets in Spanish
- Cuidar – To care for
- Alimentar – To feed
- Jugar – To play
- Pasear – To walk
- Bañar – To bathe
- Acicalar – To groom
- Entrenar – To train
- Vacunar – To vaccinate
- Desparasitar – To deworm
- Esterilizar – To neuter/spay
- Ladrar – To bark (used for dogs)
- Maullar – To meow (used for cats)
- Chirriar – To chirp (used for birds)
- Ronronear – To purr (used for cats)
- Cazar – To hunt
- Acariciar – To pet/stroke
- Morder – To bite
- Rasguñar – To scratch (used for cats)
- Jugar a la pelota – To play fetch
- Excavar – To dig (used for certain animals)
- Nadar – To swim (used for aquatic pets)
Common Expressions about Pets
- “El perro es el mejor amigo del hombre.” – “The dog is man’s best friend.”
- “Como dos gotas de agua.” – “Like two peas in a pod.” (To describe two pets that look very similar)
- “Estar como el perro y el gato.” – “To be like cat and dog.” (When two people don’t get along)
- “Hasta el rabo, todo es toro.” – “Until the end, everything is bull.” (Expresses the need for perseverance in life, like a dog chasing its tail)
Learn More Spanish!
In this guide, we’ve explored an extensive vocabulary related to pets in Spanish. From the names of different domesticated animals to terms associated with their care and feeding, we hope you’ve expanded your knowledge about the world of pets and how to better communicate with them in Spanish.
We hope this guide has been helpful to you, and that you enjoy the wonderful experience of sharing your life with a pet. Good luck on your journey to master Spanish and providing the best care for your furry friend!
Want to learn more Spanish? Our expert staff will get in touch within 24 hours, and you can start practicing your Spanish right away. Or sign up for a group class (online or in person) or test your level for free with our free quizzes.